I was notified the other day that my lovely fellow blogger at Mignon Panache nominated me for a Liebster Award.
You are probably thinking the same thing I was: “Huh? What’s that? Is this spam? No? Cool!”
After several rounds of internet research, I’m still not sure. I gather that it’s not so much a formal award as a friendly nod from bloggers to bloggers, encouraging us to connect and get to know each other better. In any case, I appreciate the acknowledgement, and I thank Mignon Panache for choosing me for one of her nominations!
From what I could figure out, the Liebster is given to bloggers with fewer than 200 followers. The rules listed by my nominator read: “When nominated, the blogger must list eleven facts about his/herself, answers questions given by the nominator, and come up with eleven questions for the eleven bloggers he/she nominates.”
Why not? It reminds me of chain letters back in the day when email was our primary means of social networking. I always enjoyed filling them out and sending them off to ten (or eleven, perhaps) of my friends, much to their delight, I’m sure 😉
My facts, answers, and nominations after the jump:
1. I love colors. It’s tough to pick one favorite. Turquoise (greenish-blue rather than blueish-green) is still my official answer to the favorite color question, however. But orange is up there…and so is purple. And red.
2. I really like snakes.
3. I love being up high unless I’m on wheels, especially in a car.
4. I used to think I was a Ravenclaw, but now I think I’m a Gryffindor. Or perhaps a Gryffinclaw. Yes, I spend that much time thinking about it.
5. I studied abroad in London a few years ago–an experience I will never forget.
6. I adore hot, sunny weather. Hence why I moved to Texas!
7. I used to have some serious beef with restorative yoga. I couldn’t stand it because quieting down that much forced me to face a lot of my anger and other emotions. I have since learned to appreciate it much more and realized my aversion to it is why I need it.
8. My absolute favorite poem is “Invictus” by William Ernest Henley.
9. I love dystopian fiction. I’m a complete sucker for it.
10. I will defend the Oxford comma vehemently. AP style has been killing my soul a little bit.
11. I know you’re not supposed to have a favorite chakra because they’re all equally important, but I love the second (sacral) chakra. So much of my personality corresponds to that one. Also the heart chakra–backbends!
Questions from Mignon Panache and my answers:
1. What is your favorite book?
1984 by George Orwell. See fact #9. 🙂
2. What’s your best virtue?
I would say compassion
3. What’s your vice?
This is a dangerous question. Let’s keep things G-rated and say carbs.
4. What’s the best job you’ve ever had?
Hm. I’ve had a few good ones, but I think the one I enjoyed the most was tutoring.
5. Why did you start blogging?
A strange impulse to share some of my life and my thoughts on the Internet. I think it helps me feel more connected to the world in some way.
6. What’s your favorite part about blogging?
Just having a space to share thoughts, information, etc. that have even the tiniest bit of potential of reaching someone else. I would love to help people in any way that I can, so if there’s anything you’d like to see on here, please do let me know! It’s certainly a work in progress, and I haven’t figured out exactly what I’d like this blog to be besides a means of writing about my life and my meandering philosophical thoughts.
7. What’s your favorite genre of music?
Going to be super vague here: Rock. I suppose I enjoy the indie and classic varieties the most.
8. What is your dream job?
Writer/editor/blogger/teacher/performer/? I’d be fully satisfied with anything that allows me to express some creativity and help people in some way.
9. What’s your favorite TV show?
Mad Men. Or Breaking Bad.
10. Who’s your favorite movie star?
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Lawrence, Heath Ledger (R.I.P.)
11. Who is your fashion icon?
Anyone who makes interesting choices that express his/her personality.
(Full disclosure: I didn’t know of enough blogs with fewer than 200 followers, so I had to go a-searchin’. Fortunately, there is no shortage of cool blogs out there, and I’m thankful that this exercise motivated me to find some of them! Some of you may have already been nominated, but I don’t think anyone will be offended by multiple nominations.)
2. earthy mama
11. No More Lettuce
Finally, here are some questions for y’all:
1. If you could choose anywhere to live for one month, where would you choose to go?
2. Who’s your favorite fictional character (can be from a book, movie, TV show, your head, anywhere)?
3. What about you might surprise people to find out?
4. What is something that makes you totally geek out?
5. What’s your favorite kind of animal?
6. When and why did you begin blogging?
7. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
8. What were you like as a child?
9. What makes you feel vulnerable?
10. What kind of weather do you prefer?
11. What makes you feel most at peace?